9. Describe the four-plane break procedure during a carrier pattern entry.
1. The lead will break on interval or no earlier than 1 nm past bow or as directed by tower.
2. Each wingman breaks at 15-second intervals after lead breaks.
3. Execute level break: use approximately 79-80 degrees AOB, reduce power to IDLE, and extend
4. Descend to 600 ft AGL.
5. At 200 KIAS, extend gear and flaps/slats.
10. True or false. The 180-degree position is the same as the abeam position when there is a 25- to
30-kt wind across the deck.
11. True or false. A right-to-left crosswind will always be present at the ship.
ANSWER: False. A right-to-left crosswind may be present on calm days due to axial winds. With
high natural winds, the winds will normally be down the angle.
12. What should you do if you lose sight of the taxi director while taxiing?
ANSWER: Stop immediately!
13. Identify the personnel associated with the following shirt colors.
1. Yellow: plane directors, catapult spotter, catapult officer, flight deck officer, arresting gear officer
2. Green: maintenance, catapult, and arresting gear personnel
3. Brown: plane captains
4. Blue: plane handlers (pushers, checkers, chainers, etc.), phone talkers, elevator operators
5. Purple: Fueling crews
6. White: safety and medical personnel, LSOs, final checker, and Quality Assurance (QA)