10 October 2000
d. For all first aid and CPR training evolutions, instructors
shall be properly certified per American Red Cross standards. When
possible, two hospital corpsmen (NEC 8406) shall be assigned as
primary classroom instructors.
2. Facilities Requirements.
The classrooms/training pools shall meet
the following requirements:
(1) Properly heated, ventilated, and lighted classrooms.
(2) Visual displays and training aids required to support the
(3) Audiovisual equipment (Proxima System, video cassette
player, and monitor...etc.), required to support the curriculum.
(4) Sufficient quantities of safety, first aid, and lifesaving
equipment to ensure student safety.
Training pool requirements:
(1) A heated swimming pool, 25 yards in length water
maintained between 80 and 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
(2) Water quality maintained per Chapter 4 of the Naval
Preventative Medicine Manual (NAVMED P-5010-4).
(3) Adequate emergency lighting.
(4) Adequate dressing rooms and rest room facilities.
(5) U.S. Coast Guard-approved ring buoys with retrieving line
attached available at pool side.
(6) Rescue tubes for safety swimmer's use that meet American
Red Cross standards, (rescue torpedoes acceptable substitute).
(7) At least one properly equipped backboard readily available
at pool side.
(8) Telephone with emergency phone numbers posted readily
accessible to the training pool staff.
(9) Whistles for all instructors.
(10) Properly stocked first aid kit.
(11) At least one emergency 100% oxygen breathing apparatus
with Laerdal Pocket Mask, allowing administration of 100% oxygen and