BACKGROUNDLOOSE DEUCE, COMBAT SPREAD
1. What is the purpose of combat spread?
To provide mutual support
What is the wingmans position in combat spread?
3/4 to 1 nm abeam the lead with 1,000 ft of vertical separation
What are the wingmans responsibilities in combat spread?
Maneuver the aircraft to maintain combat spread and employ proper lookout,
What are the leads responsibilities in combat spread?
Maneuver the section in a tactical environment, optimizing the sections capabili-
ties while carrying out specific flight objectives, navigating, and ensuring flight
BACKGROUNDLOOSE DEUCE, LOOKOUT DOCTRINE
5. While in combat spread, the primary lookout for the _________ is from 30 degrees outside the
formation sweeping through the formation to the aft visual limit.
lead and wingman
BACKGROUNDENGAGED/FREE FIGHTER ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
6. What are the significant differences between engaged and free fighter responsibilities?
ANSWER: The free fighter also has the responsibility of:
a. keeping the engaged fighter in sight.
b. clearing the engaged fighters six.
c. coordinating movement with the engaged fighter for a shot.
d. keeping or regaining a high-energy state.
7. For two aircraft at a given TAS, the aircraft that can sustain the most g will have the ______
turn radius and the ______ turn rate.
FLIGHT PROCEDURESTRANSITIONING FROM CLOSE FORMATION TO COMBAT SPREAD
8. As you take a cut to combat spread, how will AOB affect your position?
Too much AOB (leading to too much heading differential) will cause you to go
sucked; conversely, too little AOB will cause you to go acute.