FLIGHT PROCEDURESCOMBAT SPREAD TURNS, MANEUVERING TURNS
18. Which maneuvering turn has an energy efficient turn rate and radius?
FLIGHT PROCEDURESLOOSE DEUCE EXERCISE
19. Describe a tactical application of lead, lag and pure pursuit in the loose deuce exercise.
Several tactical uses may be acceptable based upon lesson content, instructor
examples or student deductions. The attacking aircrafts nose position in relation
to the bandit must be included in each answer.
How does voice comm during the initial move of the loose deuce exercise demonstrate priority
directive/descriptive voice communication procedures for loose deuce maneuvering?
Hard right is a directive voice call emphasizing immediate movement for a
member of the section, therefore the priority. Bandit, right 4 high, is an example
of descriptive voice comm which is secondary to immediate movement. Additional
voice comm during the initial move sequence either directs or describes action as
What are the significant differences in maintaining the high- or low-cover position?
In high cover, the free fighter flies outside the engaged fighters turn while main-
taining approximately 2,000 ft of vertical separation and approximately 2,000-ft
nose-to-tail. In low cover, the free fighter flies inside the engaged fighters turn
with little or no vertical separation and a minimum of 500-ft nose-to-tail.
FLIGHT PROCEDURESLOOSE DEUCE EXERCISE, HIGH COVER
22. While engaging from high cover, what happens if you pull too hard or aft of the engaged
The aircraft nose becomes buried.
FLIGHT PROCEDURESGUNSIGHT TRACKING, GUNSIGHT TRACKING EXERCISE
23. What are the significant differences between a FOX-2 and a guns tracking solution?
ANSWER: Significant differences exist in:
a. Range and angle off
b. Pure pursuit is used for the missile shot
c. Lead pursuit is used for the guns solution
FLIGHT PROCEDURESGUNSIGHT TRACKING, HIGH YO-YO
24. Which maneuver is a form of lag pursuit used to control a high rate of closure to prevent an
overshoot and reduces angles off?