STUDENT GUIDE T-39N/G NATOPS
UNIT EIGHT: AVIONICS SYSTEMS
REFERENCE: T-39 NATOPS MANUAL
Locate and operate T-39N/G aircraft systems, given a mission in a T-39 in accordance with
A.1.9 Recall the basic description of and operation of the T-39N/G's avionics systems.
NATOPS EIGHT: AVIONICS
A. Cockpit lighting
1. Rheostats located on left/right consoles.
2. Inner rheostat for indirect lighting (instrument internal lighting).
3. Outer rheostat for flight instrument floodlights.
B. Radio Control Unit (RCU) (T-39N)
1. Check station ICS placard to select/deselect ICS stations.
2. To talk, select individual stations, VOX MIC, and ST
a. LED will indicate activation of selected radio/navaid/station/function.
b. Opens up two way communication between ICS stations.
c. Conversation in rear only if front stations are deselected (ICS 1,2,&3).
3. For UHF/VHF, left LED for Transmit & Right LED for receive. Due to the
programming of this ICS panel, ALL stations must be up T/R on ONE radio, therefore
backseaters select INPH on your KEY SEL toggle switch to prevent accidental UHF/VHF
4. Depress any radio/navaid/ICS button until that function's name appears in the status
window and volume adjustments can be made for that individual function, otherwise the volume
control on the ICS panel will act as a Master volume control.
5. Monitor radios by depressing blue REC SEL button and selecting a radio while light is
flashing. Deselect radio receiver by first pressing blue button again. IT IS POSSIBLE TO
DESELECT A RECEIVER ON A RADIO THAT IS ON TRANSMIT/RECEIVE.
AVIONICS SYSTEMS 8-1