INTERCEPT PROCEDURES TEXTBOOK
FIGHTER MISSION W-155 PROCEDURES
1. NPA-2 stereo route.
2. Expect clearance to be something close to this:
"Rocket 503 flight cleared on the NPA-2 stereo route as filed; climb and maintain 3
thousand, expect 12 thousand 10 minutes after departure; departure frequency on 270.8,
Note: Read back entire clearance for all FR flights; you may read back just the squawk for
all subsequent flights.
3. Follow assigned vectors until told to proceed to the warning area. BEARD, ROSIE and
STARR are the standard transition points; be prepared with a point to point heading to the
4. Expect your switch to Seabreeze Control to come in the 15-20 mile range; if you are not
switched by 20 DME, ask departure to switch.
5. If you do not have clearance from Seabreeze to enter W-155 by 24 DME, remind the
controller with your current DME and a request to enter.
6. If no clearance is issued, at instructor discretion, enter the area VFR.
7. Upon entering W-155 you will be given a vector by Seabreeze and issued clearance to operate
between 10,000-20,000 feet. The call is "cleared operational upon entering W-155A or B". If
the call is "continue outbound", that implies clearance into the area but not clearance to climb
(i.e. maybe T-2's are using the area, too).
8. Seabreeze will switch the flight to Gritrock. Once cleared operational, the first fighter will
climb to 16,000 or an alternate altitude if weather is a factor. The bogey will choose an altitude,
other than 16,000, within the cleared block and between 5-25,000.
9. Flight lead will give separation vectors or CAP station assignments as soon as possible before
the first run. Anytime separation vectors/CAP stations are given, repeat own aircraft instructions
with your fuel state in thousands of pounds (i.e. "Bogey to Boston, state 5).
10. Even numbered call signs (i.e. Rkt 520,522) will use radar channel 4 while odd numbered
call signs use radar channel 1. This will reduce the possibility of co-channel interference. (5").
11. When the radar is set up, your playmate is up on the same Gritrock frequency, and you are
ready to run, broadcast your intentions as follows: