During this event, the student will perform as a Student Naval Flight Officer or Combat Systems
Officer flying in the aft cockpit of a VT-86 T-2C in accordance with local flight procedures,
CNO directives, DOD (FLIP) publications, T-2C NATOPS, the ATM curriculum, this Flight
Training Instruction, CTW-6 directives, VT-86 Standing Operating Procedures, and VT-86
Simulator instruction during SUA events is intended to improve student knowledge and
performance in the following areas:
1. Special Use Airspace operations: Correct entry, exit, and recovery procedures to NAS
Pensacola. Proper airspace management procedures and skills will be introduced and reinforced.
2. Navigation: Aircraft navigation and operation of T-2C navigation equipment during
departure, enroute, and terminal phases of IFR flight in accordance with Federal Aviation
Regulations and Naval directives.
Scan: Scan of cockpit equipment, indicators, and instruments.
4. Checklists: Accurate and efficient monitoring and completion of VT-86 IN-FLIGHT
5. Aircraft Systems: Knowledge of T-2C aircraft systems by monitoring normal systems
operation, by calculating aircraft performance (such as fuel consumption, airspeeds, PT-5 values,
and AOA verification speeds), by timely detection of aircraft systems malfunctions, and correct
execution of T-2C NATOPS emergency procedures.
6. Aircraft Procedures: Practice in providing a Simulator Instructor with instructions to
comply with T-2C flight procedures contained in T-2C NATOPS, CNATRA directives, VT-86
Standing Operating Procedures, and VT-86 Standardization Notes.
7. Communications: Use of T-2C communications equipment and performing normal and
"loss of two-way radio" IFR communications procedures in accordance with Federal Aviation
Regulations and the procedures contained in the VT-86 IN-FLIGHT GUIDE.
8. Cockpit Resources: Management of cockpit equipment and controls, charts, approach
booklets, the IN-FLIGHT GUIDE, and FLIP documents.
Crew Coordination: Correct timing and execution of pilot briefings.
During the 2F101 SUA event, the following general procedures will apply: