SNFO/SWSO VOICE COMMUNICATIONS
65. VECTOR - Heading issued to an aircraft to provide navigational guidance by radar.
"BUCK 731, turn left 090, vector for traffic."
When already flying an assigned vector from ATC and checking in on a new frequency,
include the assigned vector in the initial radio call.
"Memphis Center, BUCK 731, level 9000, on a
66. VERIFY - Request confirmation of information.
"APPROACH, KATT 823, verify assigned
67. VFR - Visual Flight Rules - Rules that govern the procedures for conducting the flight
under visual conditions. This term is also used to indicate weather conditions that are equal to or
greater than minimum VFR requirements.
68. VMC - Visual Meteorological Conditions - Meteorological conditions expressed in terms
of visibility, distance from cloud, and ceiling equal to or better than specified minimum.
69. WHEN ABLE - When used in conjunction with ATC instructions, gives the pilot the
latitude to delay compliance until a condition or event has been reconciled. Unlike "pilot
discretion," when instructions are prefaced "when able," the pilot is expected to comply at the
first opportunity. "When able" should not be used when expeditious compliance is required.
"BUCK 731, fly heading 090. When able,
proceed direct SEMMES."
70. WILCO - I have received your message, understand it and will comply. "Wilco" a call in
which you were told to do something.
"BUCK 722, SHERMAN GROUND, report the
"BUCK 722, wilco."
TECHNIQUE AND TERMINOLOGY 1-25