SNFO/SWSO VOICE COMMUNICATIONS
(You will hear many responses. "NO JOY"/"LOOKING"/"SEARCHING"/"I do not see him."
"Negative contact" is the correct response from the Aeronautical Information Manual.)
See TRAFFIC IN SIGHT.
44. NEGATIVE NUMBERS - Used by pilots to inform ATC that they have not received
airport information from ATIS. (Not listed in the pilot/controller glossary, but commonly used.)
"GROUND, BUCK 734, taxi, negative numbers."
45. NORDO - A contraction meaning "no radio". It is used to describe aircraft that lost radio
46. OPTION - A term meaning you have been cleared for any type landing, (i.e., touch and go,
full stop, low approach, roll and go, and stop and go).
"BUCK 714, is cleared for the option runway 7
47. OVERHEAD - A non-instrument or "visual" approach to the "break" technique for landing
entry. The civilian version of requesting the break.
48. PASSING - Used on initial check-in with a controller when you are climbing or descending
through an altitude /flight level. (Not in the pilot/controller glossary, but commonly used term.)
"CENTER, KATT 811, passing 8000 for 3000."
49. PAR - Precision Approach Radar approach providing glideslope and azimuth (course)
information via a precision approach radar system located at the destination airfield.
50. PILOT'S DISCRETION - When used in conjunction with altitude assignments, means that
ATC has offered the pilot the option of starting a climb or descent at any rate the pilot wishes.
The pilot may temporarily level off at any intermediate altitude. However, once the pilot has
vacated an altitude, the pilot may not return to that altitude.
"KATT 810, at pilot's discretion descend and
TECHNIQUE AND TERMINOLOGY 1-21