SNFO/SWSO VOICE COMMUNICATIONS
ADVISE INTENTIONS - Tell me what you plan to do.
"BUCK 712, advise intentions after touch and
"BUCK 712, request PAR, full stop."
AFFIRMATIVE - Yes.
ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS - An altitude or altitudes stated in the order flown which are
to be maintained until reaching a specific point or time. Altitude restrictions may be issued by
ATC due to traffic, terrain or other simple considerations.
5. BLOCKED - Phraseology used to indicate that a radio transmission has been distorted or
interrupted due to multiple simultaneous radio transmissions. The controller may sometimes use
the terms "stepped on" or "blocked".
6. BREAK - Controller makes a string of transmissions pertaining to different aircraft,
separated by "break". Because the controller is busy, no response from any aircraft is expected
nor desired. (Not listed in the pilot/controller glossary, but commonly used.)
"BUCK 712, expect higher in 15 miles, break,
KATT 811 say your request."
7. BUTTON/CHANNEL - Standard frequencies for your operating area will be entered into
your radio as one of 20 preset, selectable "buttons" or "channels." For example, Sherman Tower
frequency 340.2 is preset channel 4. (Not listed in the pilot/controller glossary, but commonly
"KATT 833, contact Tower button 4."
"KATT 833, switching button 4."
8. CAVU - Pronounced "cavoo". An acronym for "Ceiling and Visibility Unlimited." This
denotes good weather. (Not listed in the pilot/controller glossary, but commonly used.)
9. CLEARANCE LIMIT - The fix, point, or location to which an aircraft is cleared when
issued an ATC clearance.
"KATT 821 is cleared to Navy Pensacola via
direct NSE as filed..."
TECHNIQUE AND TERMINOLOGY 1-15