MANUAL OF NAVAL PREVENTIVE MEDICINE
(c) Other materials that are not additives and that
are used in conformity with applicable regulations of the Food and Drug
(80) "Sanitize or Sanitization" is the application of cumulative
heat or chemicals on cleaned food contact surfaces that, when evaluated for
efficacy, yield a reduction of 5 logs, which is equal to 99.999% reduction,
of representative microorganisms of public health importance.
(81) "Sealed" means free of cracks or other openings that allow
the entry or passage of moisture.
(82) "Servicing area" is an operating base where a mobile food
establishment or transportation vehicle returns regularly for discharging
liquid or solid wastes, refilling water tanks and ice bins, and boarding
(83) "Sewage" means liquid waste containing animal or vegetable
matter in suspension or solution and may include liquids containing
chemicals in solution.
(84) "Shellfish control authority" is a state, federal, foreign,
or other government entity legally responsible for administering a program
that includes certification of molluscan shellfish harvesters and dealers
for interstate commerce.
(85) "Shellstock" means raw, in shell molluscan shellfish.
(86) "Shucked shellfish" means molluscan shellfish that have had
one or both shells removed.
(87) "Single-service articles" include tableware, carry-out
utensils, and other items such as bags, containers, placemats, stirrers,
straws, toothpicks, and wrappers that are designed and constructed for one
time, one person use.
(88) Single-use Articles.
(a) "Single-use articles" are utensils and bulk food
containers designed and constructed to be used once and discarded.
(b) "Single-use articles" include items such as wax paper,
butcher paper, plastic wrap, formed aluminum food