MANUAL OF NAVAL PREVENTIVE MEDICINE
(46) "Injected" means manipulating a meat so that infectious or
toxigenic microorganisms may be introduced from its surface to its interior
through tenderizing with deep penetration or injecting the meat such as
with juices which may be referred to as "injecting," "pinning," or "stitch
(47) "Kitchenware" means food preparation and storage utensils.
(48) "Law" means applicable military directives, local, state, and
federal statutes, regulations, and ordinances.
(49) "Leftover" means any unserved food remaining at the end of
the meal period for which it is prepared.
(50) "Linens" are fabric items such as cloth hampers, cloth
napkins, table cloths, wiping cloths, and work garments including cloth
(51) "Meat" means the flesh of animals used as food including the
dressed flesh of cattle, swine, sheep, or goats and other edible animals,
except fish and poultry, that is offered for human consumption.
(52) "mg/L" is milligrams per liter, the metric equivalent of
parts per million (ppm).
(53) "Molluscan shellfish" are any edible species of fresh or
frozen oysters, clams, mussels, and scallops or edible portions thereof,
except when the scallop product consists only of the shucked adductor
(a) "Packaged" means bottled, canned, cartoned,
securely bagged, or securely wrapped, whether packaged in a food
establishment or a food processing plant.
(b) "Packaged" does not include a wrapper, carry-out box, or
other non-durable container used to containerize food
with the purpose of facilitating food protection during service and receipt
of the food by the consumer.
(55) "Pathogen" means a disease-causing agent or microorganism.