CHAPTER 1, FOOD SAFETY
processes of produce of the soil and thereby affecting its color, whether
before or after harvest.
(2) "Adulterated" means the condition of a food if it:
(a) Bears or contains any poisonous or deleterious substance
in a quantity which may render it injurious to health;
(b) Bears or contains added poisonous or deleterious substance
for which no safe tolerance has been established;
(c) Consists in whole or part of any filthy, putrid, or
decomposed substance, or if it is otherwise unfit for human consumption;
(d) Has been processed, prepared, packed, or held under
unsanitary conditions, whereby it may have become contaminated with filth,
or whereby it may have been rendered injurious to health;
(e) Is in a container composed in whole, or in part, of any
poisonous or deleterious substance which may render the contents injurious
(3) "Advance Preparation" is defined as food that is prepared for
future service beyond a specific meal. Advance preparation foods must be
immediately cooled after cooking to 41°F or below within 4 hours.
(4) "Approved" means acceptable to the Bureau of Medicine and
Surgery (CHBUMED) based on determination of conformity with principles,
practices, and generally recognized standards that protect public health.
(5) "aw" means water activity which is a measure of the free
moisture in a food, is the quotient of the water vapor pressure of the
substance divided by the vapor pressure of pure water at the same
temperature, and is indicated by the symbol aW.
(6) "Beverage" is a liquid for drinking, including water.
(7) "Bottled drinking water" means water that is sealed
in bottles, packages, or other containers and offered for sale for human