HELICOPTER AERODYNAMICS WORKBOOK
CHAPTER TWO REVIEW QUESTIONS
1. Draw and label a blade element diagram for powered flight.
2. Angle of attack is found between the chord line and the__________________.
3. The _______________________ is defined by the plane described by the rotating tips of the
4. The vertical flow of air through the rotor system is_______________________.
5. In powered flight, increased rotational flow with constant induced flow shifts the relative
wind vector toward the____________________.
6. In powered flight, as relative wind shifts toward the horizontal plane, the angle of attack
Changes in the pitch angle directly/inversely affect angle of attack.
_______________________drag is created as a result of the production of lift.
9. Regardless of angle of attack, the upper surface lift and lower surface lift of a symmetrical
airfoil will act _______________ each other, and a twisting force on the blade is/is not
10. Pitching moments are characteristic of the __________________ airfoil.
11. The type of rotor system which is limited to two rotor blades is the ____________________.
12. The _______________________ rotor system does not incorporate mechanical hinges for
flapping or lead/lag motion.
13. A vertical hinge pin is provided for lead/lag in the _______________________ rotor system.
14. Unequal radii of rotor blade centers of mass cause_________________________________.
15. Compensation for lead/lag motion in the semi-rigid rotor system is accomplished by blade
16. _______________________compensates for increased rotational velocity from blade root to
tip by increasing/decreasing blade pitch from root to tip.
ROTOR BLADE AERODYNAMICS 2-13