HELICOPTER AERODYNAMICS WORKBOOK
CHAPTER ONE REVIEW QUESTIONS
1. Oxygen comprises approximately ________ percent of the earth's atmosphere.
2. Air density changes in direct proportion to ____________ and inverse proportion
to____________, ____________, and ____________.
3. Compared to dry air, the density of air at 100% humidity is
4% more dense.
about the same.
decreased 1 percent per 1000'.
4. The altitude of a given static air pressure in the standard atmosphere is_______________.
5. Density altitude is pressure altitude corrected for _______________ and _______________.
6. When relative humidity is 50%, the moist air is half as dense as dry air. ____(True/False)
7. As temperature increases above standard day conditions, density altitude increases/decreases
and air density increases/decreases.
8. Using the Density Altitude Chart on page 1-4, find the density altitude for a pressure altitude
of 3500', temperature of 240C, and relative humidity of 50%. ______________
9. Using the rule of thumb formula, calculate the density altitude for a pressure altitude of
6000', temperature of 170C, and relative humidity of 50%. __________________________
10. An increase in humidity increases/decreases density altitude, which increases/decreases rotor
11. State the effects that increased density altitude has on power available and power required.
THE ATMOSPHERE 1-5