INSTRUMENT FLIGHT RULES WORKBOOK
CHAPTER FIVE REVIEW QUESTIONS
1. Your ground speed is 150 knots. In 2 hours and 20 minutes you will fly a distance of
2. How much flight time is available when your fuel supply is 154 gallons and the rate of
consumption is 55 gallons per hour? __________ hours __________ minutes
3. On your chart, the distance from "A" to "B" measures 243 NM. You flew this distance in
an elapsed time of 1 hour and 23 minutes. Your ground speed was __________ knots.
4. On your chart, the distance from your departure point to your destination measures 278
NM. At a ground speed of 153 knots, your estimated time enroute would be __________ hours,
5. At 1035Z, your fuel remaining was 300 pounds. Your rate of consumption is 120 pounds
per hour. You will be able to remain airborne for __________ hours and __________ minutes.
6. During preflight, the forecaster gives you winds of 190º/25 knots. You plan to fly a TAS
of 170 knots on a MAG course of 126º with a MAG VAR of 2º W. Your ground speed will be
7. You are making an instrument approach. The distance from the radio facility to the airport
is 4.3 NM. At an approach speed of 105 knots, you will reach the airport in __________ minutes
and __________ seconds.
A ground speed check on your TACAN indicates you flew 7 NM in
2 minutes and 40 seconds. Your ground speed was __________ knots. At this rate, in a
flight of 2 hours and 40 minutes, you would fly a distance of __________ NM.
9. During a flight, a pilot noticed a prominent landmark and found that he was 35 NM from
his point of departure. The flight began at 1620Z and this landmark was passed at 1630Z. The
ground speed made good was __________miles.
10. You departed your base at 0800 and arrived at your destination at 1020. The measured
distance on the chart was 340 NM. If the total fuel used was 640 pounds, your rate of
consumption was ___________ pounds per hour.
11. You depart your base at 1330 and arrived at your destination at 1615 with 110 gallons fuel
remaining. The distance flown was 450 NM. If the total fuel capacity of your aircraft is 300
gallons, your fuel consumption on the flight was __________ gallons per hour. At this fuel
consumption rate, the maximum range of your aircraft is __________ NM.
CR-2 COMPUTER 5-13