(4) Clean dirt collector.
(5) Clean air brake cylinder and renew packing.
(6) Tighten all gland nuts on compression type fittings.
(7) Clean modulating valve and replace all rubber parts.
(8) Clean air cylinder release valve and replace all rubber parts. Test operation.
(9) Clean vent valves.
(10) Replace pipe bracket strainer.
(11) Install new air hose gaskets.
(12) Perform Single-Car Air Test.
d. Railcar Unscheduled Inspections. Consult Appendix A for specific requirements for
items listed below. The below inspections shall be performed under the following conditions:
(1) COT&S shall be conducted if any of the following apply:
when the brake valve has been submerged in any fluid or powdery substance.
when broken or damaged service, emergency or pipe bracket portion is
when there are broken cap screw(s), stud(s), and securement bolt(s) in pipe
bracket portion when necessary to remove pipe bracket from car
when a single car air brake test fails.
(2) If a derailment occurs, maintenance inspections shall be performed in accordance
with local procedures. The Installation Commander shall establish these procedures and should
use CFR 49. The maintenance items shall be wheels, axles, and trucks.
(3) When personnel report a specific malfunction, the railcar shall be inspected to
determine the cause of the malfunction.
e. Exercise Of Journal Bearings. The weight of a rail car is supported by eight
bearings. These bearings fit between the axle ends and the truck frames and is lubricated by wick
and wiping action from the journal box oil sump. If a rail car is idle for an extended period of
time, the weight of the car forces out the lubricant between the bearing and axle surfaces. Dry
bearings are detrimental in two ways. First, the lack of lubrication when the car is initially moved
after a period of idleness causes friction damage. Second, dry bearings cause galvanic corrosion
and erosion of the bearing. Activities shall have a program that ensures railcars with journal
bearings are moved a minimum of five car lengths every 45 days. This program shall also address