Cab seats shall be securely mounted and braced. Cab doors shall be equipped with a
secure and operable latching device.
Floors of cabs, passageways, and compartments shall be kept free from oil, water,
waste or any obstruction that creates a slipping, tripping, or fire hazard. Floors should
be properly treated to provide secure footing.
Broken front/rear facing locomotive cab windows shall be replaced per CFR 49 Part
Broken side facing windows shall be replaced in accordance CFR 49 Part 223.
7. Railcar Inspection and Maintenance -
a. Annual Inspections. An annual, visual inspection of the railcar to determine its
readiness for operation and the need for essential repairs shall be performed and shall include the
(1) Clean, oil, test and stencil (COT&S) shall be conducted for all brake systems other
than AB, AB-1-B, ABC-1, ABD, ABD-L, ABD-l-B, ABDW.W, and ABDW-1-B. COT&S shall
also be conducted whenever the brake system fails the single-car air brake test. Newer models or
modifications may require less COT&S. See manufacturer's recommendations for these models
(2) Safety Appliance (ladders, handholds, steps, etc.).
(3) Air lines and air hoses including all fastening.
(4) Brake shoes.
(6) Draft gear keys and locks.
(8) Journal bearings and joule box.
(9) Hand brake.
(10) Truck frames and springs.