(9) The car has a draft key, or draft key retainer, that is inoperative or missing.
(10) The draft gear arrangement has a broken, bent, worn, or missing follower plate.
Followers broken, bent 1/2 inch or more, or worn more than 1/8 inch in any location shall be
(11) Hydraulic end of car cushion units that are leaking clearly formed droplets or are
e. A railcar shall be repaired before placing or continuing in service if the car body has any
of the following defects:
(1) Coupler carriers that are cracked, broken, or worn more than 1/2 of the original
thickness, or with a wear plate missing or worn through.
(2) The coupler has a type F head and is non-resilient.
(3) Body center plates are cracked, broken, missing or not secured; or has two or
more cracks through its cross section (thickness) at the edge of the plate that extend to the
portion of the plate that is obstructed from view while the truck is in place.
(4) The total clearance between truck and body center plate exceeds 1 3/8 inches.
(5) Body center plate bowl diameter is reduced to 11 inches (for a 12 inch diameter
center plate), 13 inches (for a 14 inch diameter center plate), or 15 inches (for a 16 inch diameter
center plate) at any point.
(6) Body center plate bowl height has been reduced by more than 3/8 inch.
(7) The car has a broken sidesill, crossbearer, or body bolster.
(8) Body side bearings that are cracked, bent, broken, missing or worn in excess of 1/8
(9) The car center sill is broken, cracked more than six inches, or permanently bent or
buckled more than 2 1/2 inches in any 6-foot length.
(10) Any portion of the car body or their appurtenances (except wheels) has less than
a 2 1/2 inch clearance from the top of rail.
Cars utilized for the movement of Class 1 explosives should be equipped with spark shields
above the wheels.
f. Platforms, safety appliances, and general requirements for railcar maintenance.
(1) Uncoupling levers and support brackets that are bent, broken, cracked, worn to
less than 1/2 of their original thickness, or inoperative shall be repaired or replaced.
A - 32