T-45C TS INav-04; ADV INav-02
Components and Characteristics of the Instrument Landing System (ILS)
At fields where no authority exists, such as a tower or
ground control, remain behind the critical area hold short
line if an approach is known to be in progress.
CAUTION: Invalid (phantom) glideslope signals can be
inadvertently projected in the area of the glideslope beam
and in an area behind the antenna (back course).
Do not accept a glideslope indication as valid when you are
not on a published portion of the approach and at an
altitude and position where you anticipate intercepting the
1. The ILS system is made up of three parts. Those parts are the________
systems, the _________ systems, and the _________ systems.
2. The _________ system is made up of _______ elements, the
___________ and the ___________ transmitters. The __________
provides azimuth information, ________ guidance and the __________
provides glideslope information, ________ guidance.
3. The localizer provides course guidance to 35 degrees out to _______ nm
and to 10 degrees out to ________nm . The addition of a _________
to a localizer approach reclassifies the approach from a __________ to a
4. The standard ILS __________ beam angle is _______ to _______
5. The definition of glidepath is that portion of the ________ reference
signal that intersects the localizer on an _________ approach or is
provided by ________ when established on the FAC of a PAR approach.
6. The ________ system is a component of the ILS/LOC approach system
and is used to determine position along the FAC. The systems are the
following: _________, _________, __________, and ___________.
7. The _________ are the most common and are _______ _______
transmitters that produce an _________ pattern that is placed so that it is
__________ to and centered on the FAC of an ILS/LOC approach.
8. The _______ is the _________ associated with the DH of a single-piloted
Navy aircraft and is placed so that it crosses the FAC glidepath at
approximately 200 ft AGL.
9. The ______ is associated with a blue _____ _____ light in the cockpit.
The ______ is associated with ______ and the _______ is associated
with a white light indication in the cockpit.