T-45C TS & ADV BIFP-08
How are rate of descent and AOA controlled
on the glideslope?
ANSWER: Rate of descent is controlled with power
and AOA is controlled with nose attitude.
(1) Make a level turn to final approach
assigned heading using 20-degree
(2) Reduce power
(3) Verify on-speed AOA with
(4) Adjust power, pitch, and trim to
maintain hands-off level flight and
COMMON ERROR: Late slowing
to on-speed AOA and slow to trim.
(5) Extend speed brakes and adjust
power as required to establish
desired rate of descent when
controller calls On glideslope
(6) Make small vertical velocity
corrections by adjusting power
(7) Make small AOA corrections by
adjusting nose attitude
NOTE: A combination of power
and nose attitude adjustments is
required for a smooth and precise