Meteorology and Flight Planning
If no forecaster is available at the departure point,
but current charts and teletype are displayed, the
aircrew member should:
Look around and see what information is
Read and plan. Look over the charts
(1) Look for weather hazards and low
ceilings -- observed and forecast
(2) Read your destination current and forecast
(3) Determine if an alternate is required and, if
so, where would be suitable
(4) Check the wind charts for your planned
(5) Plan the flight
NOTE: You should be weatherwise
enough to select your route, destination,
and alternate and figure your ETD, ETEs,
and ETAs to alternate(s).
Call the nearest weather facility
NOTE: Provide the forecaster with the
previously mentioned information and have a
blank DD-175-1 at the ready to be completed
during the brief.
Listen and ask!
(1) Listen to what the forecaster has to say
(2) Ask questions during the brief
(3) Make sure you have "the big picture"