16 September 2003
Note bingo distance, bearing, and fuel required.
Holddown: Bingo + 300 lbs
Maximum trap weight 13,360 lbs
Approaches to the Ship
Case I (wx 3000/5)
(1) Flight will descend from holding IAW CV NATOPS/CNATRA CQ OP plan.
(2) Be at 1200 feet at 7 NM, descend to the initial: 800 feet at 3 NM. Flight lead will call
(3) Concentrate on good formation.
(4) Lead breaks 10 seconds or not later than 1/2 NM upwind, two uses a 10-second interval,
three/four use 15-second intervals (17 seconds if interval is hook down).
(5) Spin procedures: initiate at the bow, climb to 1200 feet, and remain within 3 NM and
reenter for the break. Call "spin 90."
Case II (wx 1500/5. Tops not above 15,000 feet).
(1) Marshal as assigned; angels + 15 = DME
(2) Students may penetrate in section only on an instructor's wing. Lead may break up the
division for individual holding.
(3) 250 knot descent, S/B out, 4-6000 FPM.
(4) Lead will call "platform" at 5000 feet (approximately 20 NM) and shallow rate of
descent to 2000 FPM (minute to live rule).
(5) If not VFR or ship is not in sight at 800 feet and 5 NM, climb straight ahead on the BRC
to visual conditions on top of cloud layer.
(6) Ship in sight - call "see you" and switch tower. Enter normal break; 800 feet, 300 KTS.
Pilot controlled pattern
(1) 800 feet AGL 300 KTS with each succeeding A/C at a 15-second interval (20 seconds if
(2) Level break on the instruments.
(3) Descend to 600 feet when downwind.
(1) Landing checks - harness locked, anti-skid off, anti-smash light off, and hook up/down
(2) AOA check
(3) Report abeam with qual number, gear, flaps full, fuel state, qual number. Qual number
only will be reported on subsequent passes.
(1) Abeam position. Lead should set proper distance abeam (1 to 1.1 NM).
(2) Turn abeam LSO platform.
(3) 90-degree position: 450 feet AGL.
(4) 45-degree position: 325 - 375 feet AGL.
(5) Cross wake at 300 - 350 feet AGL.
(6) Do not look for ball early.
(7) Ball acquisition - check VSI and adjust (500-600 FPM).
(8) Radar altimeter no lower than 300 feet without a ball.
(9) Fly the numbers - will appear close and steep.
(1) Work for good start.
(2) Call the ball: side number, Goshawk ball, fuel state, and qual number.
(3) Meatball, lineup, angle of attack
(4) Fly the ball all the way to touchdown. Landing should be a surprise. MRT and S/B
retracted upon touchdown.
(5) Stress lineup with recorrections to touchdown.
(6) Do not spot the deck.
(7) Never accept a low ball.