26 September 1996
1. Mission. Conduct helicopter deck landing qualification opera-
tions for those aviation units and flight crews scheduled in
accordance with the provision of this instruction.
2. Execution. IX-514 Helicopter Landing Trainer (HLT) will
conduct deck landing qualification operations in accordance with
this instruction, current CNATRA instructions, operating schedules
promulgated by Naval Air Station (NAS), Pensacola, and requirements
promulgated by CNATRA, Training Air Wing FIVE, and Training Air
a. Scope. This instruction applies to all units using IX-514
for helicopter deck landing training.
(1) Air operations will be conducted in accordance with the
current edition of CV (aircraft carrier) Naval Air Training
Operating Procedures Standardization, Shipboard Helicopter
Operating Procedures, Commander Naval Air Force, Atlantic, and
Commander Naval Air Force, Pacific DLQ instructions and as modified
by this instruction. Naval Air Training Command (NATRACOM) DLQs
shall not be conducted prior to sunrise or after sunset.
(2) When IX-514 HLT is not available, alternate provisions
for NATRACOM DLQ operations will be made by CNATRA (N3).
(3) Officer in Charge (OIC), Helicopter Landing Trainer
shall conduct a presail DLQ brief for units outside NATRACOM
requesting use of IX-514 HLT in accordance with instruction listed
above. If the requesting unit is non-Navy, this brief will include
instruction in all landing signalman enlisted (LSE) signals,
supplemented as necessary by qualified LSEs.
(4) Fleet units will submit DLQ requirements to their type
commander who will forward them to CNATRA (N3). Use of the HLT
for other than Naval Undergraduate Helicopter Pilot Training (UHPT)
will be granted only for exceptional requirements and only on a
not-to-interfere basis with UHPT.
3. Administration, Logistics, and Support.
In accordance with
A. -Concept of Operations
D. -Frequencies and Communication Requirements
E. -Appendix Definitions