26 September 1996
1. Air Capable Ship: All ships with helicopter landing, vertical
replenishment, or helicopter inflight refueling facilities other
2. IX-514 Helicopter Landing Trainer: A unique service craft
classified as experimental by NAVSEA, which is configured with a
single spot flight deck for rotary wing flight operations.
3. Landing Signalman Enlisted (LSE): An enlisted person qualified
to give visual guidance signals to helicopters.
4. Helicopter Control Officer (HCO): An officer, normally a
pilot, qualified to operate the Helicopter Control Station and
direct operations on the flight deck. HCOs are designated by each
5. Joint use: The use of IX-514 for naval undergraduate heli-
copter pilot training and for training by other units.
6. UHPT use: The use of IX-514 for naval undergraduate
helicopter pilot training activities exclusively.
7. Fleet use: The use of IX-514 exclusively for naval non-
undergraduate pilot training operations.
8. Interservice use: The use of IX-514 exclusively for non-naval
helicopter pilot training operations.