12 FEB 2004
22. Low Work
● Governs the handling
● Operates the aircraft IAW
of the aircraft
OPNAVINST 3710.7S, NATOPS, CTW-5
under conditions in
and Squadron SOP, FTI, FLIP, and
close proximity to
the ground when not
● Aircraft control is smooth and
by another course
● Hover and hover taxi at altitude
of 5 feet 2 feet, heading 10,
alignment 3 feet of aircraft
centerline and speed commensurate
with safety and skills.
● Vertical takeoff and landing:
Ascends and descends at rate
commensurate with safety and
● Turns/clearing turns/turns on the
spot: Rates of turn are
consistent and commensurate with
safety, skills, and ambient
23. Power Checks
● Begin in a hover.
● Calculates expected power
requirements prior to flight.
● End in a hover or in
● Rechecks power expectation for
current observed ambient
conditions and load.
● Checks actual power requirement.
● Utilizes aircrew for greater
24. Hover Taxi
● Begins from a hover
● Considers wind direction and
speed prior to commencing taxi.
● Executes maneuver IAW NATOPS and
● Ends when
established in a
● Maintains skid height 2 feet,
hover or transition
heading 10, alignment 3 feet
to forward flight.
of aircraft centerline and safe
● Smoothly stops in a hover over
desired spot or accelerates into
a transition to forward flight.