05 April 2004
(2) Optional Items. Items with a number, but without a
plus (+), are optional. However, if flown, the IUT must meet the
required proficiency by EOB.
e. Incomplete Sorties. In general, SIs should consider a
sortie complete if able to accomplish either all high or all low
work. This is particularly true when weather precludes one or
the other, and the SI is able to emphasize training where weather
permits. Subsequent sorties in the block, when available, can
reverse this emphasis, hence achieving overall training balance.
If a student has had ample opportunity to learn a task and
subsequently flies a short mission, do not incomplete the mission
solely to provide unwarranted extra training.
Assess the sortie complete if:
(1) Seventy-five percent of the sortie's H/X was used for
(2) Sufficient sorties remain in the block to redress the
(3) Individual maneuvers can still be accomplished within
(4) Otherwise, assess the sortie incomplete.
f. Completion Sorties. A sortie may both complete a
previous sortie and count as an advancing X.
Policies for Evaluation Flights and Ground Evaluations
a. Check Rides (SXX90). Check rides amount to single
sortie training blocks. Therefore, all rules regarding
progressing out of a block apply, except as noted below:
(1) Fly a representative cross section of optional
(2) Up to two optional maneuvers may be graded F/3 where
G/4 is required without requiring an overall Unsatisfactory.
(3) SI may allow IUT to reaccomplish maneuvers.
(4) The entire sortie should be devoted to assessing the
IUT's ability and readiness to progress to the next stage of
training. All maneuvers indicated with a plus (+) are check ride
critical and must be accomplished to MIF.