4 December 2002
5. Policy. It is CNATRA/NRS policy to maintain an effective
program for civilian timekeeping. All staff levels are expected
to ensure the integrity of hours worked and reported for payroll
purposes. This instruction supplements standard Navy guidance
and payroll activity instructions that must be followed by
managers and supervisors.
Employing Activity's Responsibilities
(1) Ensure individuals recording and approving time and
attendance have been properly trained.
(2) Ensure the recording and approval of time and
attendance is performed timely and accurately as required by the
(3) Ensure all required supporting documentation is
available for audit purposes.
(4) Ensure procedural guidance is clear and adequate to
ensure that timekeeping and time and attendance certification is
Approving Official's Responsibilities
(1) Approving Officials are responsible for the timely
and accurate preparation, certification, and submission of time
and attendance. The approving official may assign checking of
daily attendance and posting of time and attendance to a
timekeeper. The approving official may designate an official
timekeeper, by letter, or be directly responsible for the
individual biweekly timecards of each civilian in the
organization. Assignment of these duties to a timekeeper does
not relieve the approving official of the responsibility for
timely and accurate reporting of the time and attendance to which
he or she approves, including that leave is approved and
administered in accordance with applicable policies, regulations,
instructions, and bargaining agreements. The supervisor shall
inform the timekeeper when an employee is on any type of leave,
or has worked any type of premium work.
(2) Normally, timekeeping responsibilities should be
assigned to individuals who are aware of employees' attendance
and absence each day.
(3) Supervisors shall ensure that exceptions to the
employee's normal tour of duty are recorded timely and