16 June 1999
MC-2 MAGNETIC CERTIFICATION PROCEDURES
1. Mount Magnetic Azimuth Reference Detector of the field tester (hereafter
called the Inversion Unit) on the turntable with the telescope inverted, and
connect P-3 of the Inversion Unit to Turntable.
2. Set up Turntable over station F-6. Connect cable W-2 from Turntable to
Connector 1J3 of Console. Connect cable W-1 from 115 VAC, 400hz power source
to Connector 1J1 of Console.
3. Turn Mode Selector to MON. All other switches and controls to OFF or
Zero; readout select to FV; Power ON-OFF to Power ON: Volts Adjust to 23.5V on
EXC volts meter; FV select to 2.
With the Inversion Unit inverted, readout error at a 90 degree
turntable heading will be indicated at the 270 degree marking on the
console readout; a 270 degree turntable heading error will be
indicated at the 90 degree markings on the Console readout.
4. Rotate turntable to obtain 0 degree 00 minutes on readout and set azimuth
scale to 0 degrees 00 minutes. Record Readout Error on line A-1 and in
Table A of MC-2 Magnetic Certification Sheet.
5. Rotate turntable to 90, 180, and 270 degree headings.
Error at each heading in Table A.
6. Algebraically add the errors recorded at the four headings and divide by
four. This is the Index Error (I1). Record this value on line A-2.
7. Select a target whose true bearings have been determined during a previous
survey. Enter this information on the bottom of the magnetic certification
sheet enclosure (3). Record the bearing (B) of this target, as indicated on
the azimuth scale, on line A-3. If no previous survey has been conducted, a
random target at a distance of 1/2 mile with a maximum elevation of +5 degrees
may be used.
Turn Power ON-OFF switch to Power OFF.
9. Carefully invert the Inversion Unit on the turntable to the upright
position by inverting the mounting plate so that telescope is above the unit.
Loosen upper motion when inverting unit to keep from inadvertently
forcing movement of the Azimuth scale.
Turn Power ON-OFF switch to ON.
Adjust EXC volts to 23.5.
11. Sight the target recorded in step 7.
Set the turntable azimuth scale to
the target bearing recorded on line A-3.